Mom and Sy’s Ghanaian Adventures: Final Edition

This is the last of three blogs detailing my travels with my mother throughout the Eastern Region of Ghana. After the Wli Waterfalls and the Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary, we took a taxi to the nearby village of Tafi Abuipe (kind of a fun word to say, Tafi  Abueeepae.) Tafi Apuipe is known for being the village where weavers make the traditional Ghanaian Kente cloth. It is a beautiful handwoven  fabric is festive bright colors. The fabrics are used for women’s head scarfs and are woven into large pieces for men’s traditional robes.

The guide showing us around the village demonstrated how the women wear the clothes by tying one around my head.

We then took a walk to the large, light-filled building where about thirty people sat at loomes with thread stretching all the way across the floor.

My mom and I had a great time trying on all the different scarves and she bought a bunch to bring back to friends in the states.

We left Tafi Abuipe and headed for the Eastern Coast! I was definitely ready for some beach time. But first we waited on a stationary tro-tro in Ho. Ho is  hub known for it’s art of alligators. There is man who keeps them as pets there. I had heard stories of these friendly alligators, but had no need to see them for myself.

Finally we got to Ada Fouh, a beach town near Togo. We checked into the Coco Loco Beach Hotel. We I plopped down on the bed and stared up at the straw ceiling of our hut, I could see the sky through the straw… and then crossed my fingers for no rain during our stay.

Then we walked across the way to walk on the beach as the sun went down. I got some really great shots of the beach.

And this shot by momma Martin is AMAZING!

Photograph courtesy of J.J. Martin

That night we had dinner at the hotel, which took FOREVER. One thing that is really frustrating about Ghana is the state of customer service. If you order a meal, expect to wait at least an hour before it arrives. But when it finally got there, it was good!

We woke up super early the next morning to catch the sunrise and it was equally as impressive as the sunset. Thousands of glass like crabs scuttled back and forth along the tide. My mom got this great shot of one.

Photograph courtesy of J.J. Martin

She also got some amazing shots of the sunrise

Photo courtesy of JJ Martin

And we got a great mom and daughter shot, too!

We checked out of the hotel and headed to a  boutique hotel on the river front that had pool. Tsarley Korpey was beautiful and for 10 cedis, was ours for the day!

While we were basking in the sun and reading out latest novels, we met an Italian-Ghanaian man named Peter, who invited us onto his speed boat for a tour of the mouth of the river. Of course, we said yes and journeyed out onto the water. I think this  may have been my mom and my favorite part of the whole trip. Mom in particular got some amazing shots  from the boat of the fisherman and their villages.

Courtesy of JJ Martin

Courtesy of JJ Martin

As we were driving near the shore, we saw people waving their arms and yelling at us. As we got closer we saw a ball floating in the water. It was a group of Indian businessmen and their families on vacation. Apparently they were playing water volley and their ball went out of reach. We drove up to it and I threw it back to them. It fell short of the group by maybe ten feet so I yelled to them to swim to it. Then, they all yelled in unison, “We cannot swim!”.. Oy, I threw it again and the all applauded us when they caught it.

There were some AMAZING homes on the islands that dotted the mouth of the river. We decided to go ashore on the beach where one side is the river and the other side meets the ocean. It was there, as I walked along the beach, when I heard someone yell out, “Syambra!!” I turned to see Peter, the guy from D.C. who we met at the monkey village. Such a small world!  We sat with him and the other Ghanaian- Italian Peter, and had a Star Beer under the shade of a hut on the beach with this as our view:

Peter and his friends brought my mom and I back to the hotel in time for us to travel back to Accra. We waiting at Ada Kasseh for a tro-tro, but there was this big funeral (which to Ghanaians means a HUGE three day party..) So a tro-tro to Accra was hard to find. Finally one bus pulled up and my mom and I made sure to be first in line. Then, out of nowhere, this woman came up and shoved us out of the way and took one of the last remaining seats on the bus. I followed her on, and got in her face about it, telling her that it was very rude. The other people on the bus turned to us and realized what the woman had done. I got off the bus, since there was no room for both my mom and I. The bus pulled away, but stopped about 15 feet down the road. You could hear arguing, and then the doors opened and the woman got off! The bus driver told her, apparently, he had not room for rudeness on his vehicle. HA! So awesome.

Anyway, my mom and I caught a more comfortable ride on the next bus and arrived by in our village of Kutunse by  Saturday night. Unfortunately, there was no water in the house when we came home (just a trickle enough for us to both muster a quick shower..)

My mom left three days later for the United States. I was sad to see her go, but happy that she got to go back to cooler weather and a hot shower!

I am excited for visitors to come and experience all the wonder that is this great country, and even some of its fall back. It is Africa, after all, but it has been wonderful.


No ping yet

  1. Linda Covell says:

    SPECTACULAR photos ! Thank you for the armchair tour of Ghana.

  2. Jen Jackson says:

    So glad you guys had a great visit…what a fun adventure!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>